Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I need to know, from a service bulletin or factory service

Customer Question
manual, what type of steel...
I need to know, from a service bulletin or factory service manual, what type of steel is used in the roof panel of a 1999 Chevy Silverado, 4x4 5.3 litre pickup truck.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roof panel warps when even very low levels of heat are applied during body work. Even the heat from curing body filler warps the metal. I need to know if the panel is UHSS or some other type steel adversely affected by heat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a technical bulletin about the steels used in the construction of the vehicle, and the proper repair methods thereof in the factory service repair manual for this year Chevy Silverado?
10/5/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

This is what I found,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is good info Mike, but not technically what I am looking for. That gives info about panel bonding and the adhesives used. What I am looking for is the type of metal that the roof is made out of. Some service manuals and tech bulletins give specific info about the metals used on the vehicle and warnings and precautions as to what types of repairs can be performed on them. That is the info I am looking for. It may be stated under a heading like "Repair Information" , "warnings", "caution", something like that around the body and frame section of the manual, or around the sub heading for the roof panel itself. I can pull up collision repair manuals for the silverado on GM website which do tell about the metals used but they only go back as far as 07. Was hoping one of you guys on here had access to more manuals, or an oem database somewhere without me having to shell out megabucks for a subscription like alldata or the like that may or may not have that info.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulled multiple dents onthe roof with the stud gun also had to do some shrinking with heat. Once the metal was straight and I started the filler work, the metal would warp again just from the heat put off by the curing body filler, or even the heat from the da or inline sanders. I have never seen metal react that way in almost 30 years of doing bodywork, especially metal that has been shrunk by heat and by hammer and dolly. I finally have it stabilised and straight, but I need to know if they specifically state that heat is not to be used on that panel for repairs (and some metals do have that warning) then even though the panel is straight, I will have to replace the panel for safety because it has possibly been weakened, if not I can finish it and let it go without replacing the panel Hope this clarifies things a little. Thank you

The only other thing I could find is a reference to GM P/N 4901MD-98 Refinish Manual which I don't have.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic