Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 Impala 3.4great. All the sudden while driving goes to

Customer Question

2000 Impala 3.4*****great. All the sudden while driving goes to high Rev and stays there
Turn it off and back on at red light or on inner state while in neutral restart acts normal for a while then dose it again
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

the fluid is clean and full ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

thank you

when these go into neutral like this with the fluid full the issue is usually the forward sprag / oneway clutch failing and causing it to not hold and cause this neutral out condition

i am sorry to say the transmission needs to come out and the forward sprag / oneway clutch needs to eb replaced and it is a very common issues for these transmissions

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry Gary
No transition problems
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

ok my mistake the engine just revs up ? and does not neutral out ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Revs up. Doesn't nutreal out transm is fine.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

if you disconnect the cruise control cable off the throttle body will it still do this ?

if it stops doing this then the cruise control module is bad causing this problem

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well it lasted for a day the mid day today it was high rev on innestate exit.
What else ya got
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

there are no codes set at all ?

any access to a scan tool to see live computer data ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Po507
When it reeves up it stays at around 1550 rpm
If I turn it of and back on it ideals at around 650 rpm
I can put in nutral going down interstate turn off and on it will ideal down
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

at this point with it being intermittent it s=would not be a vacuum leak as that would cause this problem all the time

the next step would be to replace the IAC valve in the throttle body to correct this problem

dont forget to rate us here