kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Truck starts and runs for about tow seconds then dies. It

Customer Question

Truck starts and runs for about tow seconds then dies. It will stay running with starting fluid. Checked fuel pump relay and fuses, replaced fuel pump, replaced oil pressure sensor (one pin so it does not seem to control the fuel pump), Do not show any codes with a reader and no lights flashing on the dash.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I checked all the fuses that I know of. Have not checked the dash bulbs. I did put a code reader on it and it not showing any codes. I had cleaned the Idle Air Control a little while before it died.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 99 Chevy 2500, 4x4, old body style.
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. replaced the fuel pump and its coming on. Want to check the pressure, but I couldn't find a gauge at a parts store.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant think of anything. How much for advise?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 months ago.

The first thing I need to know is what size engine do you have in you truck?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
99 Chevy with 350.

Does the security light come on or flash when ' you turn the ignition switch straight to start then let it go back to the run position and let it sit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
99 Chevy with 350. I haven't noticed it and I haven't tried what you just suggested.

Can you go check and see for me please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
99 Chevy with 350. I haven't noticed it and I haven't tried what you just suggested. I am at work and don't have access to the vehicle. I am taking notes for later.

When you get home can you get back online with me so we can go over a few things?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
99 Chevy with 350. I haven't noticed it and I haven't tried what you just suggested. I am at work and don't have access to the vehicle. I am taking notes for later. I there anything else that can shut off the fuel besides the oil pressure sensor and the passlock system?

Please do not keep adding your last responses to your new ones. It makes it hard for me to know when you have sent me a new message. The oil pressure switch can not shut the fuel off on this tuck. Your problem has to be a blown fuse, passlock system failure or a bad bcm or pcm. If we can work together when you get home I can walk you through some testing to find and fix this problem.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
99 Chevy with 350. I haven't noticed it and I haven't tried what you just suggested. I am at work and don't have access to the vehicle. I am taking notes for later. I there anything else that can shut off the fuel besides the oil pressure sensor and the passlock system? Sorry, not sure where I am supposed to type. I will get with you when I get home this evening. Thank you!

About what time do you think that will be so I canmake sure to be online when you come back?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Be about 6:30 mountain standard time if that works for you.

Sounds good to me. Chat with you then.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got home and tried to start it and I realized I don't have any dash warning lights. Dash board lights come on and interior lights also. Remembered before it quit, the windshield wipers would not turn off. They kept going after I turned the switch off.

I am so sorry. My internet went down and I was not able to be here to help you. Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can but its too late tonight. Can we try tomorrow evening?

That will be fine. Chat with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

Have a good night.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At home for a little. Do you have time to troubleshoot?

Yes I do. The first thing I need you to do will be to use your test light or digital volt meter and see what fuses have 12 volts" or battery voltage" on them on both sides, and what fuses only have 12 volts to one side. You will need to have the ignition switch in the run position as you do this test please. Let me know what fuses do not have any voltage to them and what fuses only have voltage to one side please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get a sheet of paper and get on that. Both fuse boxes, under the hood and in the cab?

Yes please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
far I have the crank and illum without any power. I have stop hazard, ctsy, cruiz, aux power, park lamps, air bag, wiper, heater a/c, cig lighter, illum, dark/fog, turn backup, radio, brake, radio battery, prndl, security, 4wd all have to both sides. None with power on one side. I will go under the hood now.

That fuse box should be good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the other box, none with only one side, and the following had both hot, lighting, batt, ign a, ign b, abs, blower, stop/ haz, ecm-b, horn, aic, rr defog, ignition-e, ecm-1,eng-1. There were no fuses without any power.

Now I need to know what does not come on when you turn the ignition switch in the run position please.

Such as the guages, lights and warnings.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the fuse box inside, only the crank, and illum did not come on. All came on on the box under the hood.

If you turn the lights on does the illum fuse power up? If you turn the ignition switch to start doe the start fuse power up?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No warnings, no gauges come on. The shift light canes on and the dash light comes on
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they both do.

Can you give me a little back round as to what the truck was doing before it would not start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just before it had quit, I cleaned the IAC and mass air flow sensor and washed the engine. Leaving the car wash, turned on the wipers and they would not turn off. Went to parts store to buy front end parts and it wouldn't start. Hasn't started since. It's been missing at low highway rpm's and boggy taking off for a while. Cruise control hasn't worked for a while, but I assumed the brake switch was bad. Don't remember the security light coming on when it was running.

Can you unplug the big plug that goes into the top of the injectors and see if there is any water in the plug?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had to head to work, but I can do that right after work. Thanks.

Let me know when you can get back on t.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am still at work for a while longer, but I am getting an e-mail to rate your work so you can get paid. Is there anything else we can still check? The main plug for the injectors seemed dry, but I cleaned it out with starting fluid. Can we summarize you thoughts at this point, or do you have some other things to check. I have most of the day at home tomorrow, Thursday if that helps as well as this evening. If I rate you, does that end our conversation? Or can I come back again without additional charges? Thanks.

Yes there are still a few things to check, so please hold off on the rating. Tomorrow will be fine with me just let me know about what time to be online.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not knowing your time zone, would 10:00 am be ok? I can work around your schedule.

I am on eastern time but I try to be online around 9am anyway.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That would be great. Thanks!

Chat with you tomorrow then.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am around today if you have time to help me.

I am sorry, I had to take care of a couple of customers in my shop this morning, My help did not show up. Good help is hard to find. Let me know if you have time tonight to do some testing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will in a couple of hours. Does that work for you?

That will be fine with me, just let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Getting a trailer ready to go out of town a few days. I can get back online at 6:00 my time, 8:00 your time I think. Thanks.

It is 6;30 here now, so must be 7 or 8 my time. But I will be here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How are you this evening? Up for some troubleshooting?

Sure. Do you have your digital volt meter and test light ready?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sir.

Please forgive me, but where did we get to the other day?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We checked all the fuses and they were good. The plug fir the injectors was dry. I don't have warning lights or gauges. Still just starts for a couple of seconds then dies. Best estimate was the BCM.

I think we need to test the ignition switch first. Can you turn the ignition switch slowly and see if the gauges and warrning lights will come on?

Do you have a tilt steering column?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's real worn. I have to wiggle it a lot to start it. I don't get any gauges turning slowly i did it several times.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's a tilt.

Can you move the column up or down and see if they come on? Wjat is worn the switch or the column?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The switch is worn. I I have to play with it a while before it will turn.

Do you have a column shifter or a floor shifter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I turned the key on and moved the tilt a bunch up and down and couldn't get them to come on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Column.

I did not forget about you, I am looking for a wire diagram for the ignition switch plug so we can test it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great.

I am sorry. I have been having trouble with my data pc.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No problem. I am leaving out of town for the next several days. Can we pick up when I get back next Thursday. Thanks.

That would be good for me. That will give me time to lok up all the info I need and fix my pc. I am sorry I was not able to get it to work tonight.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No problem. I was pretty busy as well. Have a good week and talk Thursday.

Drive safe.

Did you get the truck to run again?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Sir. I have been out of town and haven't had time to work on it. Will you have time to help me this evening?

Yes I will. Just let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Talk to you later.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have time for some troubleshooting?

I am sorry I missed you. Would you like to work on it Sunday?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We go to church in the morning. Would after lunch be ok?

sure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you ready for some trouble shooting? Sorry I am later than I expected.

That is fine. What all lights up if you turn the ignition switch to the run position with out trying to start the engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The little light that shows what gear I'm in is the only one. No wRning lights and no gauges.

Can you take your digital volt meter and check all the fuses for me? What I need you to do is set your meter to dc volts, hold the black lead to a good ground, and with the red lead, touch the little metal tabs that stick up through the fuses and see if you have power to both sides of all the fuses in both fuses boxes, the one under the hood and the one under the dash please. Do this with the ignition switch in the run position. Make sure to wright down what fuses do have power but only to one side, and what fuses do not have any power to them please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We did this already. They were all hot on both sides with the switch on. There were two that the truck had to be cranking to be hot.

Then you will need to pull the cover off under the dash so we can get to the ignition switch. Do you have a tilt column?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's a tilt column. It will take me a little bit. Get right back to you.

ok You will also need to remove the lower cover from the steering column itself so we can get to the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got the bottom over off.

Let me get you a diagram of the ignition switch plug under the steering column. be right back.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks.

this is a pin out for the plug on your truck. This way you can see what wire I need you to test.

row C is the one we will be testing first. In row c, see if you have 12 volts to the pink and orange wire with the ignition switch in the run position.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Taking me a minute to get the plug off.

Do not unplug it. you have to leave the plug connected so we can see the output of the ignition switch. If you have to, you can use the tip of your test lead to poke a small hole in the sheething so the test lead will touch the wire inside.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Looking for the wires now.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have voltage on both the pink and orange wires.

go to row D and test the brown, red D5 and red D 2, wires please with the ignition switch on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Brown is hot, big red wire is hot and medium size red wire w/white stripe is hot. There is a tiny red wire with a white stripe that is not hot.

The red/white wire is in row B, I need you to check row D please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hard to tell from the back of the plug where I'm at. There are only three red wires total. Heavy gauge red, medium gauge red/white and small gauge red/white. All are hot except the small r/w wire.

let me see where that wire gets its power form, it should be hat as well

double check the big max fuse ign A please and make sure it has power to both sides, it should be hot at all times. This is the fuse for that wire.

It will be in the fuse box under the hood.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's hot on both sides.

The we need to find the short in the red white wire. It runs from the fuse box to the ignition switch. Can you get access to the under side of the fuse box to see if the wire is hot at the fuse box?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All the red wires at the ignition switch were hot except the small gauge red/white stripe. The wires from the back of the fuse box under the hood are accessible for about two inches then they go into a big loom and I can't trace them. Is it easier to just run a jump wire from a battery and see if that gets stuff hot?

You can try that but make sure there is a fuse in the middle of the wire just incase there is a short to ground in the red, white wire.

Use a 10 amp fuse just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This will take me a few minutes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, ran a fused wire from the battery to the small red/white stripe wire and made it hot. Still no dash lights and it won't start.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let me ask you about the BCM again. From what I read, it fits the symptoms pretty close. How do you eliminate that?

That is true, but we have to make sure we are getting power to what should have power. If the ignition switch is not feeding power to the bcm, then the bcm can not work. Did anything light up when you ran the wire to the switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, with the jumper in place, no gauges and it wouldn't start.

Do you know where the bcm is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, not sure. There is a company that I can send it to to check and replace if it's bad. They can reprogram it for my options and it should start afterwards.

But if it is not the bcm, then you would only be wasting money. So lets check it. I know it is getting late, so if you want we can check it in the morning.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have to work tomorrow. If you have time, I would prefer now. Where is it located?

I have dinner to go to with the family. Can we pick back up in say two hours?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. That will give me time to eat as well. Thanks.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you back online?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have time to help me trouble shoot my BCM tonight?