Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The compass & temp indicators on our 2002 tahoe rearview

mirror are working intermittently. Seems...
The compass & temp indicators on our 2002 tahoe rearview mirror are working intermittently. Seems like a loose connection cause they work off and on. Got a fix?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: All fuses are good.
JA: What year is your Compass?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fusses. Removed the wiring clip on the back, checked wires for loose and corrosion, then plugged it back in. No luck.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I remove the Rear A/C control panel and headliner to check the connection to the rooftop sensor?
9/30/2016
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the readings look like they reset every time or do they come right back in exactly the same?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The temp and compass readings are accurate each time they return.

Thank you. And is there any pattern as to how long they will stay out for or does it change all of the time?

I am unavailable for a call. I can help you here if you would like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. There is no consistency ti the outage intervals.

Thank you. The most common cause of this on your vehicle is a failure in the body control module. There is usually an internal short that causes this. It can also be the mirror itself as I have seen a few of these have an internal short but that is not as common. The only way to know for sure is to test the circuit going to the mirror. You need to see if it is losing voltage when this occurs. If it is then it is the BCM. If not then it is the mirror.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thx.

No problem. If you need anything else let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the BCM located?

It is located under the driver side of the dash just above the steering column.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. THX.

Any time.

BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Tim's Auto Repair
Phone call session started

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there.please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1a8lxgyoab6o9t/1128-tahoe-Body%20Control%20Module%20Schematics.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/i1a8lxgyoab6o9t/1128-tahoe-Body%20Control%20Module%20Schematics.doc?dl=0

.

BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician