Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Is this advice free? I had an account here and the mechanic

Customer Question
Is this advice free? JA: The...
Is this advice free?
JA: The Chevy Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I had an account here and the mechanic stopped answering me so i canceled my subscription
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: And i guess you are doing the same.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 90 blazer
JA: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. A lot.... Ignition parts, fuel parts, and sensors
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I didn't say anytging about tge fuel pressure sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Pr8blem is tgat it wants to die when in gear. It wouldn't start until today when i replaced the iacv
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im not paying $28 to wait a day. It said someone was online and available.
9/25/2016
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I am here to try to help you tonight. Can you please tell me what is wrong and what you have done to try to correct the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now it starts and runs at idle, which it didnt do for a while. There is white smoke from the exhaust, strong fuel odor under hood, and under load it wants to stall

What size engine do you have in your blazer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
350

So this is a full size blazer correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1990 tbi

Can you take the air cleaner off so you can see all of the tbi unit please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was under hood earlier, cant right now

What I need you to look for will be to see if there is any fuel leaking around the injectors with the ignition switch turned to the run position and the engine not running. If there is no leaks, start the engine and see if the injectors are dribbling fuel out or if you see a nice cone shaped spray?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Short answer is the left one ( when looking at tge front) is dribbling fast and right has cone....while youre replying ill give you the long story...

Does fuel dribble out of the left injector with the engine not running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bought the truck a few months ago, started right up. Failed emissions, so replaced egr and passed. Everytime id start it after that it would take longer and eventually would only start when pressing gas pedal. Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tps, map, ignition module, fuel filter, injectors and diaphragm in tbi. Still no change. Called over mechanic who rewired plug wires and advanced timing and it started but rpm was ridiculously high. Took it for test drive and died 2 min later and wouldn't start. Had it towed to AAA repair shop who replaced tps again and reset timing. Back to only starting with gas pedal. This morning i started taking apart the tbi to clean it and figured id replace the idle air control valve and it worked. Starts right up and stays running on its own. Was about to drive it and when i put it in gear it was close to stalling. White smoke increases with pedal pressed. Yes fuel will dribble when in on but not running position. Hope that helps

Just to be clear, will fuel come out of the left injector with the engine not running or turning over, but the ignition switch is in the run position?

Will fuel come out of the injector with the ignition switch turned off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Look very carefully at the wires from the injector all the way to the front where the wires run through the rubber gromit and out the front of the tbi and see if the wire have been pinched by the air cleaner spacer. if you have fuel coming out of the left injector then there has to be a ground going to the injector on the green or the blue wire. these two wires should only have a pulsing ground from the pcm. The red and white wire will have constant power on them with the ignition switch in the run position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just inspect all wires at fuel injectors all the way through? Will have to wait until tomorrow. If everything ok, any other suggestions? You think the lower rpm in drive/reverse is a fuel delivery issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fyi there is a wire from what i think is the fuel pump relay that is not connected to anything...has a small clasp. Not sure where it goes. Could that be anything?

I believe that the left injector is dumping way to much fuel and you are really only running on 3 cylinders. If the wires all look good, then you will need to test the injector for an internal short, or you may have to replace the pcm.

I see a pic of the tbi. The blue wire will be the one you need to look at. I am willing to bet the blue wire has rubbed on the air cleaner spacer and is shorting out on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do i need to take off the tb to check the wires all the way through?

No just remove the air filter spacer that sits on top of the tbi.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ill hit you up tomorrow morning. Thanks and goodnight

You are very welcome. Have a good night yourself.

Have you had the injectors out of the throttle body?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
replaced them not long ago

Please unplug the left injector, have some one turn the ignition switch to run an take another pick f the left injector for me as soon as the switch is turned to run.

I can not see the left injector to see if fuel is coming out of it.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir. I have a small mp3 vid but cant upload here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Picking one up in a few minutes

Can you get a digital volt meter so we can do some testing. The left injector looks like it is still dumping fuel into the throttle body even with the wires unplugged. I need to know if the injector is bad or if it is just a leaking seal. I need you to take some ohms readings to make sure we fix the correct thing.

You may as well get a throttle body gasket set, as I do know that the injector will have to come out, I do not know if the injector itself is bad, but more then likely it is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I coan do both...so we are rebuilding and cleaning the TB?

Yes. We have to get the left injector to stop leaking.

yes those are the things you will need.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok got the voltmeter now how do i use this thing?

You need to set it to ohms, hold the black test lead to the metal housing of the throttle body, and hold the red test lead to the pin on the top of the injector where the blue wire goes. Tell me what the reading is on the meter please.

the ohms setting is where the horse shoe looking thing is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What key position?

Off

With the injector unplugged.

What does the meter read when you touch the two test leads together as well as if they are apart?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing as in picture. Voltmeter doesnt change

Set it to 200k and check it again please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesn't do anything. I put the black to the tb housing and touched each injector. Got no change from the picture. Something with the voltmeter isnt on or working

slow down. Take the two test leads and touch them only to each other and tell me what you are getting please. Send me a pic of the two test leads touching so I can see the leads as well as the reading on he meter please.

If you take them apart what does it read?

Now touch each of the two pis on the top of the injector and see what you gt.

black on one pin red on the other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
0.00 on both injectors

ok. Now hold the black lead on the tbi housing and the red lead on the left injector pin on the left side, the pin that the blue wire would go to.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing, just the 1

You need to pull the injector out and see if the seals are leaking around the bottom of the injector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At 200 it reads 0.2, at 200k it reads 00.0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry...that is when touching leads together. Still only the 1 on any setting when touching injectors

Replace the injector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you see? This is a new one.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is dry

The seals are in good shape, and there is no short in the connectors to a ground. So the pental in the injector has to be why it is leaking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok...should be under warranty so ill do that and rebuild/clean tb while im at it. Any suggestions or recommendations for doing that.

Just clean the old gasket off, and put it back together. you do not need to clean anything but the old gasket off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you're talking about the one I had to take off to get to the injectors, I already did that one when I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, just checked it and its still good and dry. Thanks will get back to you after replacing the injector. After i install the new one do you want me to get back to you right after, or put it all back together and check spray pattern then let you know?

Put it back together, and do not plug the left injector up and see if the injector is still leaking fuel out of it with the engine running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not leaking now. Tried it unplugged and key on then plugged and key on and turned it over. No leaaks, running smooth

Will it drive now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fixing pcv and grommet now, then will attempt

ok

I do not see any fuel coming out of the left injector in the pic you just sent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pic isnt good. Good cone shape pattern on both now. Same hesitation though, and more so when in drive/reverse. So same problem as my initial from last night

Now that you have the fuel right, you will need to set the timing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats beyond my knowledge or abilities

When you go to start the engine after it has warmed up, does it turn over good or does it lag?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turns over quickly, w/o pressing gas pedal.

If you look down along the passenger side of the distributor at its base there is a bolt at about 7 oclock. this is the hold down and bolt that holds the distributor tight. Loosen the bolt about three turns and rotate the distributor counter clockwize about 10 degrees and snug the bolt down. Then see how it starts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turned CCW as you said. Not much different at 10 degreess. Rotated a little more and it was rough, and stalled after putting it in drive. Turned it clockwise and no change from original. Still smoking from exhaust when pressing on gas pedal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could the firing order be off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
See pic attached. If what i circled is the part of the cap that covers the ignition module then thats in the back.

No pic come through.

The ignition module should be at the back, and number one should be where the pic said it should be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok firing order is good

With all the fuel that the left injector was dumping into the intake, you need to replace all the spark plugs. When you have them out, unplug the injectors and turn the engine over a few good times before you put the new plugs in. the plugs may be to fouled and not firing correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was just thinking about pulling them and checking. That'll have to be next weekend. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you say unplug the injectors do you mean take off the connectors or take out the injectors?

Just disconnect the plug on top of them.

What do the rest of them look like? Can you send me a pic of all of them please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They all looked like that, 2 had oil on the threads. I replaced them all and the o2 sensor. Ran much better. Just took it for a test drive, a lot more whitish smoke and started to hesitate like engine power not fuel or ignition. Heard a little pop from under the hood, popped it up and there is smoke coming from the exhaust manifold at #2 cylinder.

Now that you have driven it, pull the plugs back out please and redo the comp test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Comp test? Compression? Never did that...how?

It would be nice to see a pic of each plug and to know what plig came out of what cylinder to please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. We labeled each one so we can do that for the old plugs. New ones in there now will have to wait until tomorrow

I am sorry. To do a comp test you have to get a compression tester that will screw into the spark plug hole. then when you turn the engine over the gauge will tell you how much pressure you have in each cylinder.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech