kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 2001 s10 4x4 that has been checked out by a

Customer Question

I have a 2001 s10 4x4 that has been checked out by a mechanic that I've used in the past who says that my lack of heat in the vehicle is due to a clogged heater core JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses? Customer: no leaks at all ...they say the thermostat is good and that the switch is good...the heatercore is about 50 bucks JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far? Customer: but labor would cost 900.00 JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you? Customer: I want to know if I can "reverse flush" the inlet/outlet going to the heatercore to see if this would unclog it and save me a lot of money

Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 months ago.

If he is going to charge you $900.00 then his labor rate is right at $100.00 an hour. That is what most dealerships charge. I am sure if you call around you can get the job done for around $500. As for revers flushing the core, It is not very likely that you can flush the core out and get it to come clean. The passages in the core are very small and not easy to get to come clean. Ask around your friends and see if they have anyone that they use that has a better labor rate. If you can find a shop, or some one that works from home you may be able to get the job done for around $350.