Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Am getting a po480 obd code. Engine is not running hot. Have

exhausted everything I can think...
Am getting a po480 obd code. Engine is not running hot. Have exhausted everything I can think to do to clear code from coming in.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks. replaced thermostat, flushed radiator, externally cleaned radiator, cleaned throttle body.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2006 trailblazer. 4.2
JA: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: flushed radiator, externally cleaned radiator, replaced thermostat, and cleaned throttle body.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant think of anything at this time.
9/23/2016
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to load in your vehicle and grab some information. Be right back...

The P0480 is a known problem and GM has issued a technical service bulletin that states the most common cause for this code is the cooling fan harness chaffing against the plastic guide it routes through. This contact may damage the insulation of the wires enclosed in that harness. The recommended repair is to replace the engine cooling fan harness. The harness has been updated to correct the problem from happening again. The new wire harness part number is: 89024920. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
II do not have an electrical cooling fan. It is mechanical, belt driven. There is no wiring harness to the cooling fan.

The belt should be turning the water pump, of which the fan is mounted to. The set-up should look like this: https://goo.gl/gH0y7w

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You have not been any help yet

The belt should be turning the water pump, of which the fan is mounted to. The set-up should look like this: https://goo.gl/6w1MNQ

The clutch section of the fan will have an electrical harness to it, and looks like this: https://goo.gl/1cRq8p

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. I will take a look. thank you.

Like I say, very common problem that GM has acknowledged. This should solve your problem. Please remember to leave a rating using the stars. Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great weekend!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced fan clutch. Came with new wireless harness and still getting check engine light.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Meant wire harness not wireless

Sorry for the delay... I was offline when your reply came in...

OK. First, lets check the fuse and relay for the fan. They are in the under-hood fuse block. I've labeled them in red here: https://goo.gl/jVMAOs

If the fuse and relay are good, then some testing will need to be done. There is a small diagnostic flow chart to run through. Download that here: https://goo.gl/9XyKKw

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Back with you. Had radiator repaired, it is installed. All fluid levels good, no leaks. Still getting code. Checked fuse, visually fuse is good and I put my ohm meter on it and it is good. Not sure how to check relay.

With the relay, you can swap it out with another that has the same numbers. I believe the relay to the right of the fan relay is a match.

There is also a flow chart to run through as well. Download that here: https://goo.gl/Qb32yE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced both of the relays because I had already tried that. Still getting code. I have gotten no where.

If you've run through the GM diagnostic flow chart and still do not have a solution, I'm really not sure what to do at this point. The flow chart provided by GM "should" prove a result and find the root of the problem. I'm not sure I've ever come to a point where a OE flow chart has not helped to find the root of the problem. Unfortunately, at this point, I'm stumped! I do apologize.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a different vehicle I am working on now. 2006 chevy impala. Fuel guage quit working. Replaced fuel pump & sending unit. Guage did still not work. Then replaced instrument cluster which I bought from GM. Guage still does not work. Now when I start car I get a message that says program cluster.(3500 V6)

Unfortunaetly, due to the website Terms of Service, I am not allowed to answer a different question/vehicle/problem on the same thread. Only "follow-up" questions pertaining to the original question, are allowed to continue on the same thread. If you have a different question, you are required to start a new thread. (Sorry, their rules not mine!). It's a bit slow right now, so post your new question and if I can grab it, I will most certainly assit you!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -