Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ihave a 2007 suburban we just bought used there is a message…

Customer Question
Hello ihave a 2007...

Hello ihave a 2007 suburban we just bought used there is a message on the dash saying service brakes soon but no other warning lights and I cant figure out the problem or clear it

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

All lights come one when u crank it and turn off I have not checked the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

My father has been a mechanic for 40 years and use to be a gmc mechanic as well he cant figure it out , he said he scanned it and got no codes , he dosent know what it indicates or what its telling him to do,

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
9/23/2016
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David thanks for visiting the site. You will need to have it scanned for codes in the brake module in order to know what the actual problem is. The problem with this is that generic scan tools will not read these codes. This means that you would have to take it somewhere that has a scanner capable of reading the brake module, typically a dealer. There is a GM service bulletin that addresses this message being on, but only if a specific code (C0229) is set. If you need more info, please ask.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you tell me what the cause of the light might be from your experience and knowledge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you tell me from your experience what th messege could indicate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I find the brake module

it can indicate alot of things, brake pads, low brake fluid, brake shoes, bad proportioning valve, bad ebcm,.... the scan tool will be able to interogate the brake module through its interface with the pcm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you I have a abs brake module scanner so i will run that and see what it says

ok. good. please keep me posted.

any update?

Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.