Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I am having and issue with my 03 silverado ac not working I

Customer Question
hi I am having and...
hi I am having and issue with my 03 silverado ac not working I have access to a tech2 and what I am seeing when it does not grant permission to the ac is is the out air tmep sensoe in the havcn is reading 35-44 deg f
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: yes so when the value is at 34-44 deg it denys the ac comp the question is where is the temp sensor located ? I have the gm books I have been going through but all i can find is the ambent temp for the read view mirror
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i had the system purged and refilled ac work when if feels like it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: so how does this work? does it cost money for answers?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/21/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Replacement [ HVAC SYSTEMS - AUTOMATIC : Repair Instructions ]

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the Park/Turn Signal. Refer to PARK/TURN SIGNAL LAMP REPLACEMENT (OLD STYLE) or PARK/TURN SIGNAL LAMP REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE) .
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the ambient air temperature sensor (3).
  3. Remove the ambient air temperature sensor (3).

Fig 1: Remove Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.View Full-Screen

Installation Procedure

1. Install the ambient air temperature sensor (3).
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the ambient air temperature sensor (3).
  3. Install the Park/Turn Signal. Refer to PARK/TURN SIGNAL LAMP REPLACEMENT (OLD STYLE) or PARK/TURN SIGNAL LAMP REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE) .

Fig 2: Install Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Does this help?

That is the outside temp sensor, there are 4 temp sensors in the vents and one temp sensor in the headliner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i need to trouble shoot why the outside temp sensor is reading 35-44 deg f (war and filtered)
when it 80+ outside. I think when its doing this it is denying the ac comp request
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
raw and filtered)

Have you replaced this sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I look at the tech 2 and it says "outside air temp raw" and outside air temp filtered. what sensor is being used for this data? the temp on the mirror is correct all the time, even when the ac is working or not

Here is a wiring diagram for the ac

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have all that already.. I have the whole 5 book set for the truck. I need to know what sensor the hvac system is referencing for the "outside air temp raw" and "outside air temp filtered" that i'm seeing on the tech II

The ambient temp is the same for the mirror. Try unplugging the ambient temp sensor to see if it changes the reading

Check the LT green/black wire for an open from the outside temp sensor to the hvac control module.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why does my mirror show its 80+ outside and the hvac shows 35-44 deg?

Found it.

inside rearview mirror ambient temperature sensor

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Replacement [ STATIONARY WINDOW SYSTEM : Repair Instructions ]

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the radiator grille from the vehicle. Refer to GRILLE REPLACEMENT (OLD STYLE) or GRILLE REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE GMC) or GRILLE REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE CHEVROLET) .
  2. Remove the push pin retainer from the sensor mounted on the radiator support brace.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor.

Fig 3: Removing Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the electrical connector to the sensor.
  2. Install the sensor to the radiator support brace and install the push pin retainer.
  3. Install the radiator grille to the vehicle. Refer to GRILLE REPLACEMENT (OLD STYLE) or GRILLE REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE GMC) or GRILLE REPLACEMENT (NEW STYLE CHEVROLET) .

Fig 4: Installing Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Replace the temp sensor that is behind the park light on the passengers side.

Sorry I mislead you in an earlier message, I should have said the ambient temp is not the same for the mirror.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that the sensor in the grill that has the green with white and black wire?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in the books i have GM. it says it should be green/black and brown

There is one in the grill for the mirror and one on the passengers side for the AC

Replace the one on the passengers side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you said pass side behind parking light correct?

Yes the first diagram I sent you is the one that needs to be replaced

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok let me give that a shot, how can I get back in tough with you about this after I replace it?
it will take a few hours to get it in

Save this page to favorites and message me here. I will leave this question open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I'll keep in touch!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for your time

Your welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you have the part number on the sensor?
the dealer is having a hard time

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks

Dan, ASE Certified Technician