BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2008 Chevy Cobalt - Kinda of a loud whirring noise coming

Customer Question

2008 Chevy Cobalt - Kinda of a loud whirring noise coming somewhere from the front end when driving. Can only hear inside vehicle. Cannot hear anything outside the vehicle.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Noise just started, but it does have 164,000 miles. Noise seems to be coming from the middle front end
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I am actually looking at purchasing the car. The noise just started, so nothing tried so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: At 60mph it vibrates the car
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the noise changes when you take your foot off of the gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't believe it does. The noise starts as soon as I start driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise pretty much stays constant or gets louder as I go faster. And at 60mph the car starts to shake
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. From what you are explaining it sounds like a failing hub bearing. These are a common failure on this vehicle. When the bearing fails it loses its lubrication and this occurs. I usually get the vehicle up in the air and spin each wheel by hand to see which one is failing. These usually cost a few hundred dollars each to replace. I hope this helps. If you need anything else please let me know.