Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu and it is making a humming

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu and it is making a humming sound it just started it's coming from the front passenger side what's causing this please help me
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Does the sound tend to change pitch/loudness the faster/slower the vehicle goes?

Does the sound tend to ease up when you turn one way or get louder when you turn the other way?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, great. This is the tell-tale sign of a worn Wheel Bearing. On this vehicle, the bearing is built into and part of the Wheel Hub Assembly (makes it much easier for replacement this way). The hub and bearing sell for around $230 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.3 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The humming sound stops as I stop when I'm turning corners it stops only when I'm driving it just started also I have big and small potholes in my yard
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

These are all symptoms of the worn wheel bearing as described above. Replacing the passenger's side wheel bearing/hub assembly will solve the problem.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

..