Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Overheated. The coolant does leak. I think the water pump

Customer Question

overheated.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: The coolant does leak. I think the water pump needs changed also.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1998 chevy malibu
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I looked at the dipstick to see the color of the oil. No sign of water but I was going to drain the pan to make sure.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: had a tendency to start overheating especially while running the a/c
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

If you remove the oil filler cap is it all white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has white. I drained the oil but didn't notice water in the oil but I am pretty sure the head gasket is bad.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

If the filler cap is white it is very possible you have a blown head gasket or intake gasket.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.