Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2013 chevy caprice with 6.0L. No horn. I tried with a test

Customer Question
light with ignition on to...
2013 chevy caprice with 6.0L. No horn. I tried with a test light with ignition on to see if I get 12v on fuse #7 which is the horn fuse in engine compartment but nothing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
9/8/2016
Chevy Mechanic: TODD RUZICKA,
 replied 1 year ago
TODD RUZICKA

Hi and thank you for your question! Since this was a police package, the horn circuitry may have been compromised or changed. I'm checking now on police package circuitry...

Chevy Mechanic: TODD RUZICKA,
 replied 1 year ago

After further inspection, the police package actually had the horn circuit run through an audible alarm module which may have been removed after the vehicle was turned into civilian usage. The horn pad in the steering column may also have been modified. Have you removed the horn pad and inspected the connections?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I haven't done that yet. I take it that the horn pad she just pop out with not too much issues?
Chevy Mechanic: TODD RUZICKA,
 replied 1 year ago

First locate the horns and check for power when horn pad is depressed. If power is present, the horns are the fault. If there is no power, remove the horn pad using special tool. "Using tool no. EL-48508 removing the drivers airbag, insert into the aperture and pivot towards the instrument panel moving the tool in an outward direction. This will relieve the tension on the spring-loaded retaining clips. The inflatable restraint assembly will move slightly away from the steering wheel. Rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees to expose the remaining access aperture hole. Repeat for other side". This will give you access to the horn pad and connections to inspect for possible issues. NOTE: DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM FIRST! DISCONECT THE BATTERY AND REMOVE THE AIR BAG FUSE PRIOR TO HORN PAD REMOVAL. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD LEAD TO AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT AND PERSONAL INJURY. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! You will most likely find the horn pad connector is disconnected from the column connection. Let me know if this helps. I'd be happy to assist you further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
aperture hole is visible while your in the seat looking at the steering wheel? I am having a hard time seeing any hole on the center of the steering wheel.
Chevy Mechanic: TODD RUZICKA,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi and sorry for the late response. I have ben away from the computer for a few days. Were you able to remove the horn pad and inspect the connection at the top of the column?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no not yet but having problems finding the hole where you put small screw driver to remove air bag. Have been away for past 5 days.
Chevy Mechanic: TODD RUZICKA,
 replied 1 year ago

OK, if you turn the steering wheel 90 degrees left or right from straight, you will see the hole opening on the back (forward facing) side of the steering wheel, Insert a flat blade screw driver and push the release spring towards the center of the steering wheel (so the handle of the driver will go away from the steering column). Once one side is released, turn the steering wheel 180 degrees to access the opposite release hole (there are two releases, 180 degrees from each other, the release hole will have to be on top of the steering column for access). I hope this helps. keep me informed please. Again, YOU MUST DISABLE THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST - BEFORE REMOVAL.

TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA