Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Odometer and other digital was not showing up, I took it out

Customer Question

odometer and other digital was not showing up, I took it out to exam any lose connections. When i would tap it it would come on. so i figure there is a bad connection some where. Problem is, in handling I messed the speedometer needle up as well as the tack. Is my only fix a replacement
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 chevy tahoe
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just took it out and while doing so the lights came on. So I took it completely out and took covers off. I can't get to back because of the needles. so I did not attempt to. But I did mess the needles for speed and rpm. Now rpm does not move correctly and not sure if speed is correct either
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: odemeter, trip,etc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes i am sorry to say the odds are the stepper motors were damaged when you were working on the cluster

it will need a new cluster assembly or send out your old one to united radio in NewYork and have them repair it for you

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your response, was hoping for better news but that is not your fault. I will try united radio for repair
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

we send all of ours to them

they are one of the best

keep this in mind from what you are saying you had some kind of internal issue anyhow so that will be fixed by them and the needles will be fixed all in one shot