rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2001 Chevy silverado 5.3. Engine idles rough. late shifting.

Customer Question

2001 Chevy silverado 5.3. Engine idles rough. late shifting. let off gas and take a sec to idle down. changed throttle position sensor. put an new maf on no change so took it back.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm Ron and I will be helping you today

Clean the throttle body and idle speed motor attached to the throttle body and get all that carbon out of there. That's the most likely cause.

The shifting may be something else. Check trans fluid level and color first.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clean it with carb cleaner?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

That's correct, or you can go one better and get Sea Foam that will allow you to do the complete engine too.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the truck was put back together by a not so good mechanic. There sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere near the throttle body. I have bad hearing and can not pin point it. My wife can point round about where it is. I'm not sure if the throttle body was removed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, but the best way to find vacuum leaks is with a smoke machine attached to the intake.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a vacuum leak would this also be a suspected problem?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Sure can, the engine runs off vacuum.