Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1972 chevy c20, installing new tailgate, trying to figure

Customer Question
out how to install latch...
1972 chevy c20, installing new tailgate, trying to figure out how to install latch and linkage, any thoughts? thx
JA: What is the model of your '72 Chevy?
Customer: cheyane c20
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have the new parts, but cant figure out how to get linkage set up with handle and latches
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: thats it i think
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
8/27/2016
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Do you have the inner panel off the tailgate?

Once you do the latch is bolted to the gate and the rods go in the bushing in the hols of the latch so that when you pull the latch the rods are pulled together as the latch rotates.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no inner panel, it is a welded tailgate, 1972, have to go thru the area where the handle goes,

Can you post a picture, that is not what I am showing

You have three screws on the inside behind the latch? If you remove those you can hook the latch out and remove then install the rods with needlenose pliers on the sides then hook the new latch in place and install the screws.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where to attach rods first? the latches or the handle?

The rods go on the latches and are threaded through the gate to the handle area so they are available to attach to the latch. The ends snap into the bushings.

Do you have the small blocks that go on the rods? They sit about three inches in from the latch end and hold the rod up

Let me know know if that is clear

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician