GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2006 Cobalt 2.2. ABS light came on, then car stalled. Now it

Customer Question

2006 Cobalt 2.2. ABS light came on, then car stalled. Now it won't start, it cranks and cracks but no start. Has 55 lbs fuel pressure, new coil pack and ignition module also replaced Crank sensor. Still no start.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: No just the ABS. I ran a scanner on it but get no codes. Doesn't help that the car won't start
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put in coil pack, ignition module, plugs, checked fuel pressure. Just installed crank sensor. Still no start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark when cranking it over? Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I get no DTC codes. How am I supposed to check spark when it has no plug wires?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

You can remove the ignition coil and insert a spark tester to check for spark. Do you have access to a scanner that can read live data?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Does it read engine rpm while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never tried it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Can you check please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok but it will take a bit of time. I am not at the location the car is at . . . .
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, no problem. Also, please check injector pulse using a noid light and check for any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the cluster when trying to start the engine. Let me know!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It reads RPM while cranking. I pulled coil pack and tried checking spark. I get nothing, zip. It has a new coil pack and ignition module so what is it? The wiring? Is it a fuse, I can't find any fuses blown in the fuse box under the hood.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Does the coil and module have power going into it while cranking? What about injector pulse?