JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

I have a 2006 chevy Colorado that we have currently just

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chevy Colorado that we have currently just rebuilt the whole front end on. It was in a wreck and we drilled a front clip off of a good truck and out it on this truck and swap led the motors as well. When I turn the key on a get a little car logo on the dash with a padlock around it my snap on solus scan tool won't connect nor wil my mentor pro. Does the truck need to be unlock since it was it an accident?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 11 months ago.

have you done a security relearn?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sir. How do I come about doing that? What tool do I need? Tech2win?

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

•The PASS-Key III plus keys

•The theft deterrent module (TDM)

•The powertrain control module (PCM)

This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured TDMs.

•When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.

When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.

1. With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  6. If additional keys are required to be learned, continue to step 7.
  7. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  8. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  9. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What tool or program do i use to do this? It's 2006 so its still considered a Tech 2 issue right? And so your saying replace the passkeys, the theft deterrent module, and the powertrain control module. As in get new ones, and then reprogram them like your are talking about? With the tech 2?

do these steps sometimes you can get it out of theft mode this way