Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

It misses and loses power and gas mileage when the ambient

Customer Question

It misses and loses power and gas mileage when the ambient temperature is above 85 degrees. I replaced the temperature sensor, and it runs great when the temperature is 80 degrees or less. Engine has 182,000 on and both crankshaft and ex. cam positions sensors were replaced within the past year, but ex. cam positions codes P0365 anP0366 still come on. Entire head was replaced at 23k because of soft valve seats.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: On a 10 percent grade if I downshift from 4th because of power loss, and run the engine above 3000 rpm it seems to have plenty of power, but if I upshift to 4th the power drops off again
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the mass air flow sensor myself, but most of the work has been done by Fisher Motors, who use a Snap On computer code reader, to augment what I find when I use my code reader.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think lack of compression is an issue, because oil consumption is almost non existent; about a quart in 5000 miles.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Can i get the year, make, model, and engine?

So far variable cam timing looks to be to blame, but I need more info on the vehicle to go into more detail.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris