Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Bought a radio for 2006 cobalt locked. What is next step and

Customer Question

bought a radio for 2006 cobalt locked. What is next step and how much to unlock?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: I had to jump start my car in March with a ford and it fried radio. Purchased 1 from Bonanza.com (OEM) was locked
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: saw on utube to push some buttons to have radio temp but no go
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just the cost and how
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

since @ 2004 and newer they stopped using a punch in code to unlock these radios they instead used programming in the radios to the cars VIN number so if the VIN number did not match the car it was put into it will be locked

i am sorry to say the only way to unlock this radio is to have a shop or someone with a programming can tool program your new radio to your cars VIN number and then set it up with the scan tool

once that is done it will work fine

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?