Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

2004 chevrolet suburban 1500: all brake lights and cruise

Customer Question

2004 chevrolet suburban 1500: all brake lights and cruise control stopped working. They operated intermittently prior to failure. Fuses and bulbs are good. Still have to check brake light relay if there is one (need to look at fuse diagram). Web search indicates that brake light switch may need to be replaced....
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Cruise control worked correctly (acceleration and deceleration from the controls) when it would turn on. Now it does not turn on at all. Brake lights were working some of the time - now, not at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am on the road with the suburban - away from home and tools so I need to find someone but I was trying to narrow down the diagnosis
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the trailer harness brake lights also do not work. Turn signals and head lights on car and trailer all work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You are on the money.

You have two things not working, so lets replace the brake light switch, ensure it is adjusted correctly.

Check brake lights, if now working, roadtest cruise control operation.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be caused by a bad connection at the T wiring harness in the back of the suburban - underneath the rear bumber area? Or could this be a bad brake light relay (if this car has one?) ... Can I narrow this down with any other easy checks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on travel with this car and with limited tools. Is the brake switch an easy replacement in my vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you have access to recall info in case this is covered by a recall and is still active?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'll get the switch replacement procedure for you shortly.

I don't have access to the Chevrolet recalls.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary, I have to sleep for a couple hours and will try the install in the morning if the replacement procedure is easy for me to do.
Also, could this be caused by a bad connection at the T wiring harness in the back of the suburban - underneath the rear bumber area? Or could this be a bad brake light relay (if this car has one?) ... Can I narrow this down with any other easy checks?
thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no worries.

I still think it is related to the brake pedal sensor or wiring as input to the PCM.

Here is some more info.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Do you need any further help?

Kind regards

Gary