Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2005 chevy suburban changed battery, now vehicle starts, but

Customer Question
dies within ten minutes. Will...
2005 chevy suburban changed battery, now vehicle starts, but dies within ten minutes. Will not restart until ten minutes later. Tried anti theft relearn protocol, key-on / engine off wait 10 minutes, key-off wait 5-11 seconds try restart. turns over but no start until approx. minutes later restarts and runs for 10 minutes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
8/14/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

it could be the key, the antenna receiver around the switch, the anti theft module itself, electrical part of the ignition switch etc.. to many to list

can you have it scanned and retrieve anti theft fault codes and post them back here ?

sound like the module is losing the relearn and keep throwing in limp mode .

what is the mileage ?

do you have one or 2 keys ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
chadMileage - 212000
One Key
No Engine Codes
Did get PO 172 & 175 after ten minute restart & then stall & not able to restart for another ten minutes.
Put new battery in, just before this last restart & anti theft relearn effort
During anti theft protocol note security light only stays on a few seconds and goes off.
Regards
Bart

THIS IS oxygen sensor,or vacuum leak etc.., has nothing to do with why the antitheft now issue

we can address that later after we start it if yiu need new sensors, or have vacumm leak,

DTC P0172 CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the air/fuel metering system in order to provide the best possible combination of driveability, fuel economy, and emission control. Fuel delivery is controlled differently during Open and Closed Loop. During Open Loop, the PCM determines fuel delivery based on sensor signals without oxygen sensor input. During Closed Loop, the PCM adds oxygen sensor inputs and level of purge to calculate short and long term fuel trim adjustments. If the oxygen sensors indicated a lean condition, fuel trim values will be above 0 percent. If the oxygen sensors indicate a rich condition, fuel trim values will be below 0 percent. The values for the short term fuel trim change rapidly in response to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) voltage signals. Long term fuel trim makes coarse adjustments in order to maintain an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. A block of cells contain information arranged in combinations of engine RPM and engine load for a fuel range of vehicle operating conditions. The long term fuel trim diagnostic is based on an average of cells currently being used. The PCM selects the cells based on the engine speed and engine load. The fuel trim diagnostic will conduct a test to determine if a rich failure actually exists, or if excessive vapor from the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister is causing a rich condition. If the PCM detects an excessively rich condition, DTC P0172 or P0175 sets.

2005 Chevy Truck Suburban 1/2 Ton 2WD V8-5.3L VIN T

Save Article

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS PROGRAMMING REPLACEMENT PASSLOCK(TM) SENSOR, BCM, OR PCM IMPORTANT: - The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. See Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration. - If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Passlock(TM) sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM, however, must learn the new fuel continue password ***** the BCM is replaced. - If replacing a powertrain control module (PCM) with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password ***** upon receipt of a password ***** Once a password ***** is received, and a password ***** ***** a learn procedure must be performed to change this password ***** A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password ***** will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicles password. CONDITIONS Use this procedure after replacing: - Passlock Sensor - BCM - PCM LEARN PROCEDURES There are 2 available methods to perform the programming procedure: - A 10 minute procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal. - A 30 minute procedure which does not require the use of any tools. 10-MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle. 2. Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming". 3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal. 4. On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming". 5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle. 6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 7. Select "Program ECU" under "Service Programming". 8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start. 9. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. 10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. 11. Start the engine; the vehicle has now learned the password. 12. With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs. 30 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE 1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start. 3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. 4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. 6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle. 7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

i m trying to call you but it says payment failed check your card on file

most of the time a new pass lock and a new lock cylinder from the dealer , it comes with new tumblers key , you buy part and take to lock smith ,he puts the lock cylinder tumblers for you like $20 to pay, then go back install it and do the 30 min relearn if no diagnostic scanner is available

be happy to call you i just want let me ,

please let me know

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked card info and updated. should be ok

you should see a tab to accept i think, i cant see your screen put i sent you a request

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician