Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

When I run a jumper to the wire the jumoer wire is getting

Customer Question
when I run a jumper...
when I run a jumper to the white wire the jumoer wire is getting super hot
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
8/14/2016
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

What are you running a jumper wire to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my brake lights aren't working neither are my running lights just my turn signals work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm running a jumper wire to the white wire at the bottom of my steering column the white wire is in a group of wires white, brown, yellow, lt green, dark green, purple, black, dark blue, lt blue, tan

Have you checked all the fuses with a test light to make sure you have voltage on both sides of the fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no blown fuses and yes voltage on both sides of fuses, on my brake light switch orange wire has power white wire does not if I run a jumper wire to the white wire on the bottom of the steering column were the group of wires that I told you about in last message brake lights up. but the jumper wire is getting burning hot

Can you pull the brake lights out of the rear and uplug them, then see if you have power on the white wire at the brake light switch with the brake pedal pushed don?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a jumper running to the white wire that's in that cluster of wires in the black plug at bottom of column and with the bulbs out of the sockets and brake pedal pushed down I have power at both sides of the brake light switch orange and white wires

Can you do the test I asked you to do with the jumper out please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no power to the white wire at brake switch with it on

Please give me just a few to look over the wire diagrams for your truck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have you had enough time to look over the wiring diagram

I have been looking over everything for you and have to say that the problem has to be in the wires at the tail light. the parking lights and brake lights are on totally different systems and only join at the tail lights. Do you have trailer lights wired into the rear of the truck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the brake switch my brake lights now work but the white wire that's connected to the brake light switch opposite of the orange wire is getting extremely hot until I take my foot off of the brake

You have a short in the wire harness, and I believe that it is in the wires near the brake lights them self. Do you have trailer light plug wired in to the wire harness?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician