GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I turn the key, fuel pump primes but when I go to start it

Customer Question

I turn the key, fuel pump primes but when I go to start it nothing happens. Installed new radio (factory style) and programmed it to the car
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park, not sure about wheel lock
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo ss
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, installed new battery, radio, programmed radio, cleared any dtc's that were in the pcm and it did crank and start once, stalled, now will not start back up
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It's been sitting for 8-9 months with a dead battery and no radio prior to me purchasing it
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joel replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. When you turn the key to start the car, does it cranks over? When you release the key, is the theft or security light on the dash?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Neither
Expert:  Joel replied 11 months ago.

Try the theft relearn procedure.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

None

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data).