Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Battery dead, cannot remove key, cannot place in neutral,

Customer Question

battery dead, cannot remove key, cannot place in neutral, battery charger will not work, tried to jump, nothing works
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: 18000 miles on car, batter was fine. It had some juice, but now nothing.
JA: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a charger on it but it doesn't seem to be charging. tried to jump and had no power come on at all.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: key will turn but cannot get into neurtral
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If I am understanding correctly, there is absolutely no power anywhere in the car? Even when you attached jumper cables, there was still no power in the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts?

alright. Even if the battery is 100% dead, when you attach jumper cables you should get power in the vehicle. what you have here is either a bad connection or a broken battery cable. First, try disconnecting both the battery cables, negative and positve, from the battery and clean the connections well and re attach. Once that is done if you still have no power, attach the jumpers from the other vehicle to your car. Red to the positive lug on the battery and black to something steel inside the engine compartment like a bolt. let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing

If you have zero power anywhere, then This is a bad connection. I am sure. If you have cleaned the connections well at the battery, check the connections at the vehicle on both cables. Make sure all are tight and clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All clean and tight

you checked that fast?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tighten the cable so yes that was fast
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check the battery cable connection down on the starter.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You know you should tell us what year, make, model and engine this is and while you are at it auto or manual trans and 4wd or 2wd.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guys are a waste of money
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's try this then, starting at the battery positive post, using a voltmeter begin testing the voltage drops across each connection, if any is over .2 volts, that will be where the problem is and don't forget the ground circuit as well.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Since you never told us exactly what you are working on we can only give you basic answers. If you want a specific answer, you need to tell us the year, make, model, engine drive ,etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this or not, if not, kindly rate me well so I get credit for the time I spent which is time I could have spent on a customer who paid me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks. Figured it out.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What was it?