Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2008 Tahoe. The traction light came on and it says

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Tahoe...
I have a 2008 Tahoe. The traction light came on and it says Service Stabilitrak and Service Traction Control. Also the RMP went up but the truck would not go and the MPG guage went nuts. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

thats a lot of faults, which may or may not be connected

I'd say the 1st thing to tackle is the traction control fault

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS and traction systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting

to tackle the other issues I'd 1st check that you are getting full voltage from the battery

check that you have at least 12V when measuring across the battery terminals with the engine off and then that it increases in voltage with the engine running

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer