Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

About a year ago you answered my question about my Chevy

Customer Question

Hey Gary. About a year ago you answered my question about my Chevy Tahoe (98) not starting. We reasoned it was the passlock system because it just sometimes wont start, and I can hear that it's not getting any fuel, and then it takes exactly ten minutes before it will start again. You gave me two answers. I skipped over the first and went straight to your second suggestion of shipping the PCM to a place to reprogram the passlock away. I wanted to ask about the first option again, as the logistics of shipping the PCM and being without a car for a week or so are just too much (as you can see, it's a year later and I still haven't done it.) CAn you please clarify what you wrote about this first option? I didn't understand what exactly I should have a mechanic do."90 % of these are the pass lock sensors themselves which are built into the outer ignition lock case it is not in the lock cylinder itselfthe best action to take with this issue is have the connections at the BCM checked and if they are good and there are NO BCM or PCM codes that would lead to the pass lock sensor itself not reading the cylinder key as when activated will not set a code or leave a history code"
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the first option was to replace the pass lock sensor of the ignition lock cylinder which is built into the outer ignition lock cylinder case of the steering column

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a lot of mechanics just not know anything about this. So should I ask a mechanic to replace the pass lock sensor within the ignition lock cylinder, or the whole thing? What exact part? Any idea about cost or timing for that? Just trying to get the final numbers or some idea to see if it's more worth it for me to be without a car for a week. Thanks.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the outer lock case like this

should run you @ 280 to 350 range

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Huh, no kidding. I think it was cheaper to do the computer trick. Okay. Thanks.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime