Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 05 Chevy Colorado inline 5 and wen I turn or am on

Customer Question

Hi I have a 05 Chevy Colorado inline 5 and wen I turn or am on the brake the idle drops really let a
Me sometimes kills the engine I cleaned the throttle body and it worked for alil and the problem is back wat can I do
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** your check engine light on? Did you remove throttle body to clean it? thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it on and I did remove the throttle body to clean it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what diagnostic code you are getting? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I remember right it was p0506
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This code doesn't mean much, just that idle is too low. I'd start by replacing spark plugs too because any performance issue can cause low idle. Then I'd check for vacuum leaks even though I doubt there are any vacuum leaks because you would set lean codes. If no vacuum leaks are found and replacing spark plugs don't help I'd bring to dealer so they can update software in computer, there is a update for this problem. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I was thinking that
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I also wanted to mention looking at the brake booster if it stalls when hitting brakes. So if you are in park and vehicle is idling ok but then stalls when hitting brakes make sure to check out brake booster for leaks. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much does it cost for the program upgrade if it takes that
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That would cost around $80 at the dealership.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks will check that out and get back to u
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks again and have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the brake boaster am I jus looking for leaking brake fluid
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No, it would be a vacuum leak. You would want to listen while someone else pumps brakes to see if you hear any noise. You can also connect a vacuum pump to see if it holds pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes, thanks.