GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My driver side window is stuck in the down position. I can

Customer Question

My driver side window is stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor turning when i press the window button down, but not when i press it to go up. I'm very short on funds and was wondering if there is any way i can fix/replace it myself. Already found a replacement button mechanism on amazon. Any help will really be appreciated.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic, a little under 90,000 miles. Warranty ran out last year.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 chevy impala
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looking on line for parts. Got a few friends that know about cars (waiting for them to call me back. if they don't, then yes hoping to fix it myself, since it just broke on me today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Also, the clicking sound behind the passenger side when the air conditioner is turn on/off. Found an actuator on amazon too, thinking of buying to fix.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don replied 1 year ago.

hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this

alot of newer cars has a plastic gear that goes through the motor to roll your window up and down i believe this is your problem -i do not remember if you can buy it separate or not you would have to contact the dealer or Napa

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that something that can be fixed by replacing window button mechanism?
Expert:  Don replied 1 year ago.

hi there you mentioned that when you pressed the switch you could hear the motor running correct ?

if that is so then it is the gear that raises the window up and down

please let me know

don