Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

When i accelerate onto the interstate the powersteering

Customer Question

When i accelerate onto the interstate the powersteering shuts off and battery light comes on
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: both check out fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 malibu ls
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started when recall work was done on the powersteering
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it almost only does it going up hill
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order to determine what is causing the problem you are having with the power steering system the first thing that needs to be done is the system is going to need to scanned and the C fault code and or codes retrieved. Once you have them then those need to be addressed to determine the cause. That being said GM has released a service bulletin dealing with the type of problem you are having that calls for replacing a defective steering column which may be the cause if the issue you are having. I have enclosed it in the link below for your review. If after you have the system scan done and the codes listed in the bulletin come up then this is likely the repair your needing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20steering%20Jul%2025.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No codes showing. And I am not sure if that recall is the problem. Every time it happens I can hear a click I dont think it is coming from the steering column. It is really hard to pin point cause it happens only while hard accelerating and almost always uphill. Like when I am getting on the interstate. I dont have to be turning for it to happen.
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Its not a recall , Its a service bulletin . I would at least check with your dealer and have them run the vin number to see if it applies.