Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

98 z28 ls1 ac compressor won't engage. How do I jumper it,

Customer Question

98 z28 ls1 ac compressor won't engage. How do I jumper it
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Can't get a valid reading without the compressor clutch engaging
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1998 chevy camaro z28 5.7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed low pressure switch reset the pcm to clear all dtcs codes that may have kept the compressor from coming on. Checked freon level and getting 90 psi on low side
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Swapped fuel pump relay with the compressor relay to rule out relay failure
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

on the relay there should be little numbers that designate terminals can you jump 30 to 87 terminals in the box the relay would pop into with the car running and will the compressor run when you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My relay does not have 30 or 87 only 1 2 3 5
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

out of the bottom of that fuse block can you see the colors of the wire into each of those terminals ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok pull out that relay with the key OFF two terminals shows 12 volts correct ?

then with it running one terminal should show a ground just when the AC is set to ON can you check for this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but what you are saying isn't really making much since to me. There are 4 female terminals when I take it out
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

correct

out of the 4 female terminals 2 should show 12 volts with the car ON and one of the last 2 female terminals should turn on a ground when the car is running and the AC is turned ON

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh your talking about if I put a volt meter on it? Sorry you didn't really clarify that. My volt meter is busted right now I'll have get one the try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just thought you may be able to tell me without me checking voltage at the terminals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this help?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes jump 3 to 5 with the car ON and the AC ON the female terminals in the box that match the 3 to 5 of the relay

will the compressor turn on and the AC work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cooling fan turned on but not the compressor clutch
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if you jump that relay and you can confirm there is 12 volts at the compressor at the dark green wire and can confirm the black is a good ground at the compressor and the compressor is NOT turning on the compressor itself is bad

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer