sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Ac blows cold at an idle yet blows warm at running speed,

Customer Question

Ac blows cold at an idle yet blows warm at running speed, 2000 chevy z-71 5.3l
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

do you have a manifold gauge set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

how much pressure do you have on the low and the high side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I hate to be a pain, but the system said somebody would bo online within 30 minutes of my inquiry. I had to run a couple of calls this afternoon so I left the system a couple of hours later without a response. I figured the whole thing was a scam, sorry for being blunt as I know it's not any fault of yours. It's 10:30 my time and I don't want to start diagnosing this late, we have some elderly neighbors. A little background, had the system overhauled 6 years ago at a Chevy House in West Texas. Blows cold at an idle but under load it gets warm. No blockages in the cabin filter area, fan clutch is good, I just installed a new radiator last weekend and burped the baby so no airpockets. Since the ac os cold at an idle 44 degrees in the center vent, the system hasn't leaked down. Only thing I can think of is the belt and or tensioner (seperate from the serpentine) of a clogged orifice tube. Firewall plenum damper is operational and the diverter damper is operational. I replaced both last summer, damn sure don't want to pull the dash again. Havent checked the pressure switch since the compressor cycles and I haven't gapped the clutch yet.

ok..we can continue tomorrow if you want..

we need those pressures

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, do I just keep this thread open?

yes..you can reply anytime..i will answer you as soon as i am on line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll put the gauges on in the morning and reply back. Been a while since they have seen the light of day had them during the r12 era. Hope the o-rings are good.

ok.just let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anybody else out there want to take this on? Hell I spent $28.00 to be in the exact same spkt almost 24 hours ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I expect you either have a compressor issue or a restriction in the system such as with a bad orifice tube. The first step in diagnosing the issue is to check the pressures both at idle while cooling and also while the system isn't blowing cold. Has this been done yet?