Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Gas fumes at the back of my 2008 suburban LT

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
7/18/2016
Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** smells at the rear can be either a bad gasket on the fuel pump assembly, or a bad charcoal emissions canister, which is located right next to the gas tank, have you inspected the canister yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the canister has been
replaced
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the smell comes from the back to the suburban

then it can only be a bad gasket at the fuel pump module,was the smell there before replacing the canister?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

did it start smelling as soon as you replaced it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can it be a bad line connection
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or hose

it can but usually with a bad line, you would see fuel dripping, since it is high pressure, have you dropped the tank and inspected for any fuel at the lines?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it started a few months later
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will look at the area after work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what am i looking for
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you have a photo

give me a second to pull up some diagrams,Tim

below is a diagram of the top of the tank, the fuel lines attach to the top of the fuel pump module, as seen in the picture, make sure its dry around the line connectors, if it is, then remove the locking ring and insoect the fuel pump assy gasket,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the standard repair amount to replace the gasket?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do i ask for as a part

it a 2 hour job by the book, the gasket is called the gasket for the fuel pump assembly, its a round rubber gasket,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can me as a novice replace it?

sure, once the tank is out, just rotate the locking ring counterclockwise, and the assy comes straight out,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, after rating me, you can always come back to this question and ask follow ups at no charge,Thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me?

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH