sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2000 suburban has or sounds like a

Customer Question

2000 suburban has or sounds like a swishing/scrapping/rubbing noise when your at about 15-20 mph. Not sure were its coming. Put new brakes and E-Brake, 4 wheel disc. Checked the play in the axles. Checked the rear end, pulled the rotors. Check all fluid levels: Transfer, Transmis, Diff.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

is it a*****

does the noise come from the front or the rear?

does the noise get louder turning left or right?

is the noise louder under load or at a coast?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 wheel.
Not for sure, seems like the rear, noise could travel.
Does not get louder turning left or right.
The same load or coast, except when on the highway the noise must blend with speed because you don't hear it . When in the city it's very noticeable.

ok

the first thing you will want to check is the u-joins,they can cause a noise simuler to the way you explain

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, was out of town yesterday. I already checked the U-joints, they seem fine.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How were the U joints checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was rotating the drive shaft with my hand and wiggled up and down to see if there was any play. I could check them again. Do you think it could be the Transfer Case or Transmission?

It's possible that the noise could be coming from the trans or transfer case but it isn't that likely.

I assume the noise started before the brake work was done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a hoist available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do

Have you tried running it on the hoist to see if the noise is present, and if so what area it's coming from? That would be the best thing to do at this point. The driveshaft would really need to be removed to feel the U joints for binding to know their actual condition though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't make no noise when it's running on the hoist.

That may be because of the change in driveline angle. Go ahead and get the driveshaft out and feel the joints by hand for binding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that, but my lift raise the car by the axle so all the weight is still on the axle. I have a 4 post car lift.
I'd recommend checking the u joints either way at this point.