Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

My son and I replaced the starter on s 2004 Chevy Tahoe.

Customer Question

My son and I replaced the starter on his 2004 Chevy Tahoe. Once we were done getting it in the housing, we had to push a lil hard to get it back in BUT it went in and we bolted it back down. Before we took out the old one, I disconnected the pos battery cable. Once done, i put it back. We attemted to start the ttuck and now it just cranks and cranks but wont start. We are baffled. It started perfect b4 we began the project. The only other thing to add is that by the starter, there is a wiring harness hanging that has 3 lil small wires in it that look like it had a connector of some sort on the end. I search everywhere within reach of ghe wire but dont see a place for it. I honestly dont know if was ever connected or even has anything to do with it or not. But we just crank and crank and rested and CRANKED. It just turns over. HELP!!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The oil level sensor is in that area. Any dash lights on? Do you have a scan tool that you could use to pull any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont but i see the lil two wires plugged into a big plastic nut. That's still in place
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the oil level sensor

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The crank sensor has 3 wires and would cause a no start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still connected. I mean the truck ran fine. We just put the starter on and it justs cranks and cranks like it would do if it was out of fuel .which it isn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 little small wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the same harness as the starter cable also?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is really close to the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK ill crawl back under and look again......give me a few
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i got back under and still dodnt see it BUT after looking at your pic I googled replacement and it looks like I have to take the starter out again because its behind it. Is this correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That is right, you need to remove the starter to gain access to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. It's still connected. We still can't get it started. We're gonna have it towed to dealer tommorrow unless you have another suggestion
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear the fuel pump buzz when you turn the key to the on position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The next thing would be to check for spark while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you