Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

My Silverado died as it was idling and won't start back up..

Customer Question

My Silverado died as it was idling and won't start back up.. I've got fuel coming out where take pressure test and I have spark what else should I check
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It will crank all day long but no signs of catching
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hand no choice but ti fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Spray some carb cleaner down the intake and try to start it. You may not have injector pulse. The vortec has the spider injection and they are prone to have sticky check balls. We use a high pressure and cleaning detergent to free up the injectors.

The only other thing it could be is ignition timing or valve timing. You would need a compression test and verify the distributor is set correctly.

If you need more help, we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated.

If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and how I can help you more.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan