Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2001 chevy Silverado 4.3 I am trying to get the oil

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy Silverado 4.3 I am trying to get the oil pan off, I have every thing taken off and out of the way, i hammered a puddy knife around both sides but it still not coming loose, what the heck.
JA: What size is your engine? How many miles since your last oil change?
Customer: 4.3 engine, oil pan been leaking for years.
JA: What is the model of your '01 Chevy?
Customer: Chevy Silverado 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have everything out of the way all bolts out, I hammered a puddy knife on both sides but the oil pan will not come loose.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

So you used the putty knife to cut through the gasket? Good idea, that is what I do. Another reason I always only use glue on one side of the gasket, just enough to hold it on.

Anyhow, back to the oil pan. Have you tried smacking it with a rubber hammer now that all of the bolts are out?

May I ask, can you count how many bolts you took off, so I can see if maybe you are missing some?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I have the instructions here, may I ask at step 14, did you "Remove the access plugs for the oil pan rear nuts."?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I also see 15. Remove the transmission to oil pan bolts.

Did you remove them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trust me all bolts are out, I have hammered with a block of wood if I hammed any harder I will break something, I am a millright and I have working on cars and trucks for 40 years. so what can I do to get this oil pan off.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I was a Millright Helper at Bethlehem Steel back in the early 80's.

Well, I don't know what else to suggest. You are sure all the bolts are out then I would price a new oil pan and if not too expensive, so ahead and get a 3 lb hammer and give it a really good whack.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Wow, never mind. Rockauto usually has the cheapest prices and an oil pan there is $287.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is someone else, saying "My oil pan is stuck, all the bolts are removed.". 2002 1500 v6 Silverado, let me see what he did to get it off, http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-4-3l-v6/oil-pan-assistances-t20664.html

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Never mind, no result there just hitting on it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Then there is this one but all they came up with was those nuts in step 14 where it sais to remove those access plugs. http://www.motorsforum.com/gm/4-3-astro-van-oil-pan-removal-18779-.htm

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.