Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy astro awd makes a binding noise atimes and sounds like

Customer Question
its engaging and disengaging at...
chevy astro awd makes a binding noise atimes and sounds like its engaging and disengaging at random
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: more often when turning onto the street.
JA: What year is your Astro?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe. I am curious about the transfer case shift accuator.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: transmission works fine. no slipping. still curious why it intermittently "skips" or, sounds like it isn't engaging properly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
7/12/2016
Chevy Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. The most common cause for the AWD system to binding and bang, is from tires that are worn unevenly and do not have the same amount of tread left. The circumference of the tires needs to be within 1/2 inch of each other. Have you checked the tires lately?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they seem fine. it sounds too harsh to be from the tire situation

Does this seem to happen more on tight turns like in a parking lot, or under 5mph?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it will also make noises at slightly higher speeds. just never consistent
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tire pressures can cause this?

Tire pressures and circumference can cause this. If those are ok, then most likely you need to have the clutches inside the transfer case replaced. They wear out.

Have you had the tires checked, or the clutches in the transfer case and rear end checked yet? Let me know and please rate my assistance using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician