Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor on a 1990

Customer Question
Chevrolet Corsica 4 cylinder engine...
I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor on a 1990 Chevrolet Corsica 4 cylinder engine 2.2 litre engine. Where is it located and how do you get to it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
7/9/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Here is the location and R&R procedure for the CKP sensor (crank shaft sensor) you asked about

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1990 Chevrolet Corsica L4-134 2.2L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Zoom and Print Options

Typical DIS Crankshaft Sensor

This crankshaft sensor is mounted remotely on the bottom side of the ignition module. This sensor protrudes into the block, within approximately 0.050" of the engine crankshaft reluctor. The reluctor is a special wheel cast into the crankshaft with seven slots cast into it, six of which are evenly spaced 60° apart. A seventh slot is spaced 10° from one of the other slots and serves to generate a "sync pulse." As the reluctor rotates as part of the crankshaft, the slots change the magnetic field of the sensor, creating an induced voltage pulse.

Based on the crank pulses, the DIS module sends reference signals to the ECM which are used to indicate crankshaft position and engine speed. The ignition module will continue to send these reference pulses to the ECM at a rate of one for each 180° or crankshaft rotation. The ECM will activate the fuel injector based on the recognition of every other reference pulse beginning at a crankshaft position of 120° after top dead center.

By comparing the time between pulses, the DIS module can recognize the pulse representing the seventh slot or "sync pulse," which starts the calculation of the ignition coil sequence. The second crank pulse following the "sync pulse" signals the "DIS" module to fire the #2/3 ignition coil and the fifth crank pulse signals the module to fire the #1/4 ignition coil.

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

it only has one bolt to remove ( 8mm)

let me know if that will work for you

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I have more information as to what it does than how to remove it. I wonder if it is near the coil packs, I have already changed those out and the car ran fine till it didn't start, and we are replacing the cps.

it will be on the block with one 8 mm bolt look down to where your oil dip stick is and follow it, it is right there where the spark plug wires are

sorry there is no better instruction , it is only one bolt ,what instruction can they give on it other than a picture and the location of it

if you can get to it , take off what ever is in your way

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are trying to figure it out. the diagram helps seems to show it's near the spark plugs

yes it is it is hard to see, but trust me it is there :) ,i usually take dip stick out, its been so long i have not worked on one in a while , i m going by memory

use a flash light that helps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe you gave me the instructions for the wrong vehicle. It might be for the 1995-96 Chevrolet Corsica but we need the information for a 1990 Chevrolet Corsica four cylinder 2.2 engine. That is what I asked for. They are not the same for every vehicle. We spent all afternoon looking using the diagram and info you provided but could not find the crankcase position sensor anywhere you described it to be. We had help looking also. I feel like I have not received the answer to my question.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have also still not found the CPS.

ok let me find it for you

I gave exactly what you asked for , the info is on 1990 Chevy Corsica 2.2 liter

look at the heading in my post to you it says 1990 chevy corisca from alldata online account , i went back and checked

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but I have the 1990 Chevrolet Corsica and the sensor is not in that location we looked thouroughly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That diagram does not go to a 1990 Chevrolet Corsica, it actually went to a '95 or 96 Corsica. I have a Chilton's that doesn't give any diagram or approximate location for a Crankshaft Position Sensor. Are you certain that this sensor isn't behind the crankshaft harmonic balancer pulley?

I will opt out and let another expert try to help you , since that is the info on 1990 Chevy Corsica ckp location i have .

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician