JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

03 Suburban will not shirt into reverse or park, truck will

Customer Question

03 Suburban will not shirt into reverse or park, truck will not start in neutral, key won't come out, and the battery died after sitting like this for a while.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will the key come out with a jump start or replacing the battery ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. When I parked it yesterday, the battery seemed to be fully charged. As soon as I shut it off, I tried pulling the key out to no avail. It also wouldn't restart.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the shift cable still connected on the drivers side of the transmissions little lever ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is still attached. It moves, but I don't know how far each way it is supposed to move.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped to get gas yesterday morning and it went into park fine then. I drove to work about five minutes down the road, and that was the first time it wouldn't go in. I was able to sort of jam it, but I barely got it there. I was able to do that one more time. After that, I couldn't get it into Park or reverse, so I drove it home that way and parked it in neutral in the garage.
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

sounds like the shift cable is either stretched or out of adjustment . the key will not be allowed to come out unless it is in park. is this a floor or column shift?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a column shift. Would this cause it to suddenly not work? And how do I adjust the shift cable? Also, is it common for the battery to die if left in this condition overnight?

absolutely the battery would die!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I adjust the cable?

Shift Cable Adjustment

1. Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P).
2. Apply the parking brake.
3. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with safety stands. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

4. Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until it reaches the full mechanical stop position.

5. Slide the black retaining clip forward on the range select lever cable end. This will allow the white lock button to be pushed out.

6. Push the white lock button on the range select lever cable end out. This will free the metal core adjust body which is inside the cable end. Do not push the white lock button completely out.
7. Inspect the metal core adjust body on the cable end for dirt or debris that may restrict the travel. Remove any debris by washing the cable end, the metal core adjust body, and the white lock button with soap and water. If the travel of the metal core adjust body remains restricted after the cleaning, replace the cable assembly. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement .
8. Remove the safety stands.
9. Lower the vehicle.
10. Ensure that the parking brake is applied.
11. Turn ON the ignition switch.

12. Move the transmission shift lever from PARK (P) to 1 and back to PARK (P) ten times.

13. Place the steering column transmission shift lever in the Park (P) position.
14. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
15. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with safety stands.

16. Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until it reaches the mechanical stop position.

17. Push in the white lock button in order to secure the core adjuster body inside the range select lever cable end.

18. Slide the black retainer clip rearward over the cable end until it covers the white lock button. Lock the clip over the cable end.
19. Remove the safety stands.
20. Lower the vehicle.
21. Turn ON the ignition switch.
22. Ensure that all the transmission shift light positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) engaged and illuminate. If you cannot perform this task, repeat the cable adjustment procedures.

Caution: With the selector lever in the PARK position, the parking pawl should freely engage within the rear reaction internal gear lugs or output ring hear lugs and prevent the vehicle from rolling, which could cause personal injury.

23. Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P). The shift position light should illuminate. If you cannot perform this task, repeat the cable adjust procedures.
24. Ensure that the engine starts in PARK (P) and in NEUTRAL (N) positions only. If the engine does not start in PARK (P) and in NEUTRAL (N), the Park/Neutral Position Switch may need adjustment. Refer to Park/Neutral Back Up Switch Adjustment .
25. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.
26. Ensure that the ignition key can only be removed with the transmission shift lever in the PARK (P) position.
27. Start the engine and check the vehicle transmission shifting. The range select lever cable is properly adjusted if the steering column shift light positions are the same as the transmission engagements.
28. Release the parking brake.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, my whole problem is that I can't get the truck into Park, yet the first step you sent me is to put the truck into Park?

start adjusting the cable it should allow it to go to park

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stuck on step 5. Do you have a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just attached a pic of what I'm looking at. Which one is the black retaining clip?

far right what clips it in the braket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Sorry for asking so many questions, but this one is stumping me. Do I need to remove it from the bracket, then do the adjustment?

yes