Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

I'm having some problems with my 2006 equinox. All my

Customer Question

Hi I'm having some problems with my 2006 equinox. All my problems started the other day. It wouldn't start I finally got it started after trying a couple times. But I am still having starting problems seems like a bad starter. Also occasionally I have vibration in the front end and a burning rubber kind of smell. Seems to happen more often when the ac is on. And I have a code for large evap leak. All of these problems started the same day so I'm having trouble finding the root of the problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Does it seem like a weak starter or does it crank strong and not start .A large eval leak can also cause the no start issue .As for the burning smell that can be the serpentine belt if theres an issue with the a/c compressor?I assume the check engine light is on are you able to get any codes so we can diagnose this correctly ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely seems like a bad starter slight grinding noise during start. The only code is for large evap leak. During my research last night I read a post the lady stated that a bad ac clutch was causing her starter to go bad. I've been working on cars since I was a kid never heard of anything like that. I don't see any burn marks or damage to serpentine belt. I'm just at a loss as to what to do first I don't wanna waste money doing repairs that are not necessary.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Ok I see we are on the same page.I would remove the serpentine belt and take a really close look at the compressor clutch and field coil as this can burn out the starter as well. If these are bad this is where you need to start on for the repair.These are the next steps.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks .Bonuses greatly appreciated.Im here if you need any further assistance at any time.