Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

If the indoor light remains on than 20 minutes, the battery

Customer Question

If the indoor light remains on for more than 20 minutes, the battery is drained to the point that it needs to be jumped
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: I took it to a mechanic who tested the battery and checked the fluid levels and said it was ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 Chevy suburban
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was wondering if I could disable the interior light to avoid the problem during my camping trip
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of off hand
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if the interior light can drain the battery in 20 minutes then either there's a lot more being run than just that light or your interior light is 3000W.....

or the battery is generally poor

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you