Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I installed a bully dog tuner on a 2003 chevy avalanche a

Customer Question

I installed a bully dog tuner on a 2003 chevy avalanche a few weeks ago and when driving the truck will stall for a second and the door locks will unlock and lock.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 190,000 miles. never happened before
JA: What is the model of your '03 Chevy?
Customer: Avalanche
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to fix this. I have replaced the battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

If this only occured after the tuner was installed this can be an issue with programming/calibrations with the tuner itself to where it may need replaced or reprogrammed.I have seen some after market components cause electrical issues like this before.

One other issue that can cause this is a loose or corroded battery cable at the battery itself or leading from the battery.The battery power loss briefly will cause the locks to cycle and the stall out briefly like this here.

These need to be checked into to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I recieve credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same vehicle... I also have a ticking sound that comes and goes and it sounds like its coming from underneath the drivers side of the truck
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The ticking noise on this model can be an issue with an exhaust leak intermittently past the exhaust gasket seal where the drivers side exhaust pipe hooks to the manifold.I have seen this gasket leak before needing replaced.

I have also seen the lifters start to fail and act up intermittently causing a tick noise.

These will have to be checked into further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

Thanks Pete