Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

The gear indicator light does not come on, No, 2003

Customer Question

The gear indicator light does not come on
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 Silverado Duramax engine Allison transmission
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet also seems to be stuck in third gear doesn't want to go any higher
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.

Could be a couple of things happening at the same time: Park/Neutral Position Switch and instrument cluster. Try disconnecting and cleaning the PNP switch first - use lots of WD-40. Replace it if it still feels stuck in 3rd gear after cleaning (see attached PDF for instructions).

If replacing the PNP switch fixes the tranny stuck in gear issue, but the cluster still doesn't display the gears, then the most common problems are bad solder joints on the circuit board. If you smack the top of the dash or wiggle the harness going to the back of the cluster and the lights flicker or come back on, then you know it's bad solder joints.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

I have to log out for the day. I’ll be back online ready to continue our conversation tomorrow from 2 to 8 PM EST. Please contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help if you need immediate assistance.