Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Starter was not working and me holding down the key.

Customer Question
Something smoked. Replaced the...
Starter was not working and me holding down the key. Something smoked. Replaced the starter. Starter relay working but no power into the starter relay( one in the fuse box). No dash inbicator lights. If I jumper them with power they work. All fuses are fine. Where else to look?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No codes as no power to the computer unless I place power into it. Only things that work are; horn, inside lights. Oh ya the annoying ding for the key.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2000 s10 flex fuel.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked all fuses and searched for fuseable links. Applied power around and items work. Just no power coming to the fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Fuses that have power at all times still do. Ignition key engages starter relay but no power into relay. If I pass the relay starter turns. Will not start as nothing else has power unless I jumper each one.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2016
Chevy Mechanic: C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic

Good morning, I believe the 175amp fuse inline of the battery and the alternator has blown. You will follow the wire from the bat to alt it will have an inline fuse in a holder. Lets start there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked it. It is good. I have power in the fuse box in the engine compartment in the large fuses. Other fuses have no power. Some fuses in the passenger compartment have power.

IGN A fuse 40 amp in the underhood fuse box is the next one we need to check.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fuses in both boxes are good and have not been blown. I cannot find the fuseable links.

How are you checking the fuses? If that fuse is good you will have power to the starter relay so its kind of weird if its good. Sometimes a fuse will look good but be bad unless you test it with a volt meter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am an electrical engineer so yes I know how to check voltages and fuses. I checked the ignition switch and it is good and working as designed.

Okay, check for voltage at the 10 amp "CRANK" fuse. If voltage is present, backprobe the Purple/White wire at pin "G" of the Neutral Safety Back Up Switch at the side of the transmission, again while in the crank mode. If voltage is available, check for voltage to pin F11 on the 68 cavity Black connector on the underside of the Under-hood Electrical Center. If no voltage is present, repair open circuit on the Purple/White wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a manual transmission. At cranking the purple/white wire at a11 has power. The crank fuse has power when the ignition is on. At cranking the starter relay is engaging.

I am at a loss here. If there is no power but all the fuses are good including the main 175 than I do not know how. I am going to opt out hope somebody can help.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician