Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 1996 chevy blazer 4.3 4x4 auto. It will not go in

Customer Question

I have a 1996 chevy blazer 4.3 4x4 auto. It will not go in reverse when I put it in gear. Everything else is working ok.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait and that you are having this problem

reverse will act like neutral ?

the transmission is physically being shifted into reverse at the transmission ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

reverse will act like neutral ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you

with the fluid being full and it having forward gears and it being shifted into reverse the problem is going to be the band inside the transmission is not holding due to a bad or burnt out band or the reaction carrier is broken either are a very common issue for these transmissions to not have reverse and a good working forward gear

by default no matter what happens electronically with these transmissions sicne reverse is a mechanical gear and requiers no electronics to operate it has to be inside the transmission i am sorry to say

I am sorry to say the transmission will need to come out and apart to be rebuilt or at least the reaction carrier and band replaced

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?