John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

I have a 2012 gmc 2500 savana van and did the front brakes,

Customer Question

I have a 2012 gmc 2500 savana van and did the front brakes, pads and rotors. the brake lights won't go off now. I have to pull the pedal up to turn them off. When i press and release the pedal and the lights stay on the brakes are not engaged, the wheel spin free. I checked all my work and i see no indication of caliper locking up at all.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is John.Check the brake light switch on the pedal under the dash. Sounds like the electrical switch is sticking causing the brake lights to stay on. I believe they are inexpensive. If there is nothing obviously wrong with it then it might be worth replacing on a guess. If it is sticking then you need a new one anyway.Please let me know how this works out or if you have any further questions about this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not have a brake light switch it has a brake pedal position sensor, which does not require a reset after a brake pad replacement. The pedal is not returning to the top it seems.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this system is not documented as well as the switch system. The signal from the pedal position sensor goes through the body control module. Is it possible to check for codes in the body control module? This might help. I see a lot of cases where brake fluid has leaked through the seals in the master cyinder into the brake booster causing it to stick. The test to check for this is to loosen the bolts that hold the master cylinder to the booster while the lights are on. If they go out then you may need to replace both the booster and the master cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a hydroboost system
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Aaargh! I am so sorry. Somehow I got this confused with a Chevy Equinox problem I am working on. I will start over. Info along shortly.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Which engine is in your 2012 2500 Savana?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

It looks to me that this vehicle has both a pedal position sensor and a stop light switch. Both are located on the brake pedal.