GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

After an accident, my passenger side turn signal no longer

Customer Question

after an accident, my passenger side turn signal no longer works.. i've changed the bulb and the turn signal switch. there is no power to the wire that connects to the pigtail.. this is a 2006 impala LS with a 3.5 liter, and the fuse checks good.. any suggestions?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: yes. the fuse is good but there is no power past it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: due to the accident, i replaced the wiring harness (from the body).. I had the turn signal switch replaced
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the bulb will light with external power.. the rear bulb works
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The headlight assembly was thrown from the car but remained intact. However, the yellow wire (which powered the turn signal) was broken on the female harness (body side)
Expert:  Joshua Davenport replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. So was the body side of the harness replaced or repaired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not by me, but a professional electronics technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He checked for continuity from the fuse to the harness, there was none
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for that one wire

Ok. You will need to check for voltage at the body control module for the turn signal. The body control module is located to the left of the steering column under the dash. The wire you will need to check for voltage is Dark Blue with a white stripe. The turn signal switch sends a signal to the body control module and the module supplies the power for the bulb.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if there is none?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the next step?

If there is no power on that wire then we will need to check the same wire at the turn signal switch to verify it is sending a signal to the body control module. If the switch is sending the signal and the module is receiving it, then we will need to do a pin out verification on the module itself. It is possible the module could have been damaged in the crash, but we need to verify it first since these module are not cheap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll get back to you tomorrow after I've had that checked out.. Have a good evening

No problem at all. Have a good evening.