Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Brake light switch not contacting brake pedal. Switch is good pedal not making contact...

Customer Question
brake light switch not contacting...
brake light switch not contacting brake pedal
JA: Have you checked the brake light switch? How about the fuses?
Customer: switch is good pedal not making contact
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 95 tahoe
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 95 thaoe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: put a new switch in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: if i push up on the switch it will work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
6/23/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, yours should be the long cylindrical switch if memory serves me , if this is correct then the switch is adjustable, you need to "screw"it in to adjust it to touch the brake pedal, have you tried this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the switch is not adjustable

is it the cylinderical switch or the square switch? can you give me a picture? there were 2 types

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Square plastic

ok , then the rod that the switch clips onto will adjust, twist the rod either clockwise or counter to achieve the desired setting.

the rod is threaded, and usually gets un adjusted when the switch is removed 1 or 2 turns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does not have an adjustable rod. The switch just slides on and has a clip to hold it on

yes , i understand, the rod that comes from the booster is the adjustable rod i am talking about

the rod is what presses and releases the switch internal of the switch housing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not adjustable

ok, i will opt out, sorry i could not help, someone should be along soon to assist.

Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

I can look to see if there is an adjustment procedure for the brake pedal light switch

just give me a minute and we'll see what I can find on this

Remove or Disconnect

1. Negative battery cable.
  2. Retainer from brake pedal pin.
  3. Switch by unsnapping from pushrod.
  4. Electrical connector from switch.

Install or Connect

1. Electrical connector into switch.
  2. Switch by snapping it onto pushrod.
  3. Retainer onto brake pedal pin.

4Negative battery cable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats it simply, but does not work. All this happened after i changed the brake booster

can you adjust the rod from the pedal to the booster?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I foind the problem it was the brake booster rod. It was the wrong booster

great hope you can rate my service 5 star

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy