Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy and it will not shift into any gear. The shifter on on console will move easily...

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy and it will not shift into any gear. The shifter on on console will move easily, but does not engage. The indicator lights on the dash shows it is in Park even as you move the shifter all the way to 1. no resistance at all on the shifter

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No I do not

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have only checked the transmission fluid, it was low, but now it is full

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?

I am thinking it may be a shifter cable or connection somewhere. It drove perfectly fine yesterday, no issues at all

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** sounds like the shift linkage came disconnected from the transmission which may require replacement of the transmission. Next tep is to access cable at transmission to see if it moves when shifter moves, if not then follow cable to find breaks. This would cost around $300 to have replaced at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Thanks

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into any questions. Thanks again and have a great day!